Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Morning Teach-Ins

This morning I attended the first of our Focus the Nation teach-ins, and snapped a few photos. I haven't quite figured out how to download the audio recordings I have, but when I do, I'll be posting them to this site. On the plus side, though, my project advisor, Brett Werner, got some video of this morning's speeches, which I'll link below.

Professor Jim Farrell kicked off this morning's teach-in in Viking Theater with a review of the college's sustainability efforts, including summarizing our progress with the wind turbine, compost, StoGrow, and the natural lands. Here's a youtube link to a segment of his speech. Sorry we couldn't get the whole speech online--we're working on it...


Afterwards, our college president, David Anderson, talked about the future of St. Olaf's environmental initiative--plans that tentatively included inviting Nobel Peace Prize winner Al Gore to speak at the next Nobel Peace Prize Forum, a collaborative program that involves 5 Minnesota colleges, Augsburg, Augustana, St. Olaf, Luther, and Concordia. He also acknowledged the difficulties and constraints he faces when implementing new environmental policies. Here's the link for the youtube video of a the first half of his speech. Again, I'm sorry that we have only made portions of each teach-in presentation available. We'll have a full version of the speeches up soon!

No comments: