Friday, January 18, 2008

Reflections on Focus the Nation

Given that my last few days have consisted of a hectic scramble to attend presentations, post photos and audio/video content, and write brief updates, I haven't had a lot of time to sit down and reflect on what Focus the Nation meant for me.

For several years I've been following the debates, research, and conversations surrounding global warming. During this time, I've felt a vague but growing unease as the research on environmental degradation has continued to pile up. It astounds me that certain members of our society can continue to ignore the increasingly bleak forecasts for our future. Whenever I stop to think about the implications of our continued reliance on fossil fuels, I can't help but feel a bit of the "doom-and-gloom" sentiment that is so common among environmentalists. When I heard David Orr recite statistics saying that we, as a race, are already committed to a 1.4 to 1.8 degrees Celsius rise in temperature across the board...well, let's just say that I wasn't filled with optimism.

Yet, it's heartening to know that there are concerted nationwide environmental efforts happening as we speak. Listening to Orr explain the Presidential Climate Action Plan demonstrated that individuals and communities have felt the urgency of climate change and are committed to immediate, drastic response. That's why programs like Focus the Nation are so important. If you'll pardon my french, they're a collective kick in the ass. They're encouragement. They're a sign that, as a society, we are beginning to turn our focus towards mitigating climate change.

I hope that PCAP and Focus the Nation accomplish their goals; I hope that they are able to convince the next presidential administration that global warming needs to be addressed now. I tend to agree with David Orr; if each generation has some mammoth undertaking, a task they must collectively act on, then ours is almost certainly the prevention of further global climate change.

There are innumerable other things I'd like to discuss in my reaction to Focus the Nation, but I'm not sure that I could begin to address all of them, since global warming is such a big topic. To conclude, then, I'd just like to offer my very sincere thanks to everyone who has helped me out in my coverage of Focus the Nation in the past few days. Specifically, Brett Werner, for giving me some great advice and helping me whenever he could, with whatever I needed. Also, I'd like to thank John Sopiwnik for allowing me to post some of his photos to this blog; Joshua Wyatt and the St. Olaf broadcast media team, for providing me with audio clips; Will Steger, for taking the time to answer a few questions and pose for some photos; and all the faculty and speakers who participated with Focus the Nation, for giving presentations on such a vital topic.

1 comment:

Alex M Tinker said...

Thanks for being a part of the solution!